Saturday, September 19, 2009

Jewelry

When I was pregnant with Lila, I made and wore a necklace that had an "It's A Girl" charm. The day she was born, my mother-in-law brought me my first "mommy" necklace from Black Mountain jewelers. It has a green crystal to symbolize the month of May.

Ever since then, for most holidays, I have received some variation on the "mommy" or "family" necklace or bracelet. I wear my wedding band to show how proud I am of being David's wife. Wearing a necklace and/or bracelet is a way for me to show off how proud I am of our family and being Lila's mom.

When I like something, I tend to become obsessed. I appreciate all the pendants and bracelets in my collection and I enjoy wearing them all, at different times. For instance, when I'm at work, I tend to wear the pendant David made for me with Lila's photo. That way, when people ask if I have a picture of my daughter, I can show it to them (and when I look in the mirror, I see her!) The necklace Pat gave me looks good on a long chain and there are certain outfits that call for a long necklace.

There are necklaces I can wear all the time (sleep in, shower, etc...) and then there are necklaces I wear during the day, and then there are the special occasion necklaces. Men will never understand this. Some women might not. :)
I like to wear a necklace all the time, even to sleep, shower, etc. It can't be too long or too short. It definitely can't be too heavy. I think I have finally found the "perfect" necklace for me to wear everyday! It's by a designer I found in a store at GoldenBelt when we went there for "Third NIght Durham" a month or so ago. Figs & Ginger. They are a local company from Asheville, NC and make eco-friendly silver jewelry. I fell in love with this design!!! See the 2 big birds and the baby bird? Don't you love it?!?! It symbolizes our family without screaming "mommy necklace".

Now I tell Lila she is my baby bird AND my sunshine! She loves that :) By the way, all of my mommy necklaces can be adjusted/added to if necessary in the future (but they look very good just the way they are).

I am proud of our family. I love my husband and daughter more than anything in the world. I enjoy having jewelry that shows off my love for my family. I'm a little weird. I know, you don't have to tell me ;)

3 comments:

Red said...

you are a FREAK! :)

Trish said...

takes one to know one! ;)

The Kruger Family said...

awwww you are SO sweet! it made me a bit tearful so i guess i'm a bit weird too! Mark gave me a heart necklace for my 30th. It was under warranty when Ethan was little and he broke the chain 3 times. Its not under warranty anymore so i don't wear it much..but I did today, and Rhiannon broke it! Ahhhh!